Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Google IO and Hello Kitty

Can someone help me settle a nightly debate that I have been having with my husband regarding the realistic uses of the recently launched Android Open Accessory.  So what is this thing?  Well Google IO had it's fancy-pants annual conference a week ago in which it launched a whole bunch of awesome stuff that developers and techie geeks go nuts for.  At this conference Android folks announced the ability to create your own accessories using the Android Open Accessory Kit (ADK) which includes an Accessory Board.  This means you can use your Android device to control any electronic you may have, once you develop the app of course.  I have been developing iOS apps for Apple devices since last year with my husband, and we have been considering developing on Android platforms and the like.  My husband is really excited about this new launch but my question is what electronic device do I need to operate with my smartphone that I can't already operate by some other means.  Oh and did I mention that at this point it is not wireless?  I mean TVs already come with remotes.  HVAC systems have thermostats.  The example given by Google shows a Hello Kitty device of some sort hooked up to an Android device.  Gee thanks for the example Google.  I have been racking my brain trying to think of REAL uses for this and I am drawing a blank.....

No comments:

Post a Comment